Thursday, August 16, 2007

Can't sleep!

Well probably because you haven't even tried yet! But I really can't so I figured I'd give you a little insight on what it takes to be a teacher. Today was the first day of new teacher training! I learned that: the District of Columbia acts as a state and a district level governing system for its schools; I still don't know what the heck I'm supposed to be teaching kids starting in a week in a half, and the teacher lunch room works pretty much the same way as every other cafeteria you've ever experienced (don't worry I found the cool kids table!)

But, in all seriousness...today started early, went long...and at the end I was left with free gifts from the teacher's union and a copy of the Washington Post that I stole! I think much of the activities today were gesturing and loving attempts at convincing new teachers that they would hate their first year of teaching no matter what they try to do about it. I think it was said best the 50th time when someone said: "this will be the hardest year of your life!" I kinda knew that was the case, but I was trying to be optimistic...then I just became cynical. I met a few lighthearted new teachers who shared that sentiment, so we joked and then talked about what was going to keep us sane (for me it will be finally accumulating something other than student loans...now it will just be lots of interest on those loans).

So, I'm heading into two more days of this...but I'm not down-hearted (because there is still free food) and tomorrow we're having a few more intriguing seminars on school culture and kids in DC. In case you didn't know...that's why I was here, but they thought it was important to start with rules and lesson planning and district standards. I have a feeling that they are putting off talking about the student population so they don't scare the new whiteys from outta town...but thats what I have to look forward to all year!

Just in case you were wondering: I'm not nervous, I have no idea what I'm going to teach, I still haven't seen my classroom or a textbook, but at least I have a place to sleep at a strangers house! I met this guy Alex, who just bought a house with his wife (he is also a new DC teacher). They didn't have anything to put in one of their new rooms...so I offered to dump all my crap in it and sleep on the floor. They politely accepted my offer and now I'm the under-welcomed-over-stayed guest! Actually the offer went the other way, and they seem to be just fine with it. But I'm hoping I can't shift around to some other connections so they don't really grow to hate me! I'll write more later...when its not affecting the diminishing 5 and a half hours of sleep I'm about to get! Good night,

Jake <><