Monday, August 13, 2007

Manic Monday

Today is my last day in D.C. - at least for this week anyway. D.C. is such a cool city that I know I will be back soon. (Not to mention that I'm gonna hate not seeing Jake all the time, so I'll have to come back soon - and often!

My flight leaves at 9:00 PM tonight and I get back into Eugene around 2:00 AM - if I'm lucky. And, of course, I'll be reporting to work bright and early tomorrow morning!

As I write this, Jake has been at the D.C. school district offices for about 2 1/2 hours. He text messaged me a bit ago saying, "Make yourself comfortable, this is gonna be a while." He's signing his contract, getting fingerprinted and a bunch of other stuff.

After he is done, we'll finalize his housing situation. He has connected with three folks through Craigslist (or as Shawn Crawford likes to call it - Wayne's World). These three have been rooming together for a while and are looking for a fourth to move into a three story townhouse on September 1st. We met them on Saturday and Jake really hit it off with them - and vice versa. All three of them work on "The Hill." One as a lobbyist, one as a staffer for Pennsylvania Senator Bob Casey and the other as a Supreme Court policeman. (it seems every branch of the government - and most of the individual agencies - all have their own police force.)

Jake's apartment will be pretty dang cool - assuming everything works out. Here's a link to the townhouse Jake will be living in. Pictures 7-9 are shots of his apartment.

The problem (although we're not too worried about it) is what to do between now and September 1st. There are several options but none have quite come together. It's not as scary as it might sound, but it would take me another few hundred paragraphs to explain it all. So, trust me on this one - it'll work out.

This is probalby my last post. I'll relenquish the reigns to Jake from this point on. It is going to be fun to see all that happens in his life over these next few years. I'm WAAAAYYYYY excited for him. And even a little jealous. And very proud as well. He's a great man, a great teacher - and a dang great son. Have fun Dude!

Dad