Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Tell me something I don't know

This article about wasting time in traffic isn't really worth reading, but I scrolled to the bottom and noticed that my former home, the fair city of Spokane is the LEAST congested metropolitan city IN THE COUNTRY! Congratulations! (Wait...did you say Spokane was a metropolitan city? Alright, I'll allow it.)

In my infinite nerdiness (as a self-admitted geek), I googled the original report so that I could look at the actual data. The facts of interest from the study was that Spokanites waste the least amount of time waiting in traffic delays, and have the 3rd lowest gas wasting population in the study. After reflecting on the level of complaints of road conditions/traffic problems I witnessed when I was resident of Spokane, I realized that no matter where you live residents will invariably whine about transportation. I'm going to ruin the surprise, but not every state can have the orange road cone as its state tree, or believe that the 4 seasons are fall, winter, spring and construction (end rant).

The flip side of the news, is that now I've moved to the 2nd-worst-traffic-delayed-5th-most-gas-wasteful city in the nation! This was an ironic discovery, because I was reading the article on CarFreeDC Day and I had also pledged to not drive my car all week (even though I walk anyways, and have a tourists knowledge of the Metro). I am quite sure that my good deed can be traded in for a carbon-offset, or indulgences from the pope. More likely, is that now they have my name and I'm going to be called to sign global warming petitions or donate my organs to those less fortunate (end rant...tw0).

If you can't already tell, this was rather amusing to me, thanks for listening. From Spokane to DC. Its a small world.