Thursday, August 9, 2007

Day 4: The Amanas Rest Stop to South Bend

It was about my turn to drive, since ever other attempt today had left me feeling drowsy and Jake and I had to switch earlier than we should have. But after my aforementioned nap, I was ready to go and drove for the next 6 hours or so – almost 400 miles straight (Except for a stop for gas somewhere in Illinois (State Motto: If We’ve Got Nothin’ Else, We’ve Got Freeways, Baby!)

Not much to report here except two things . . .

1. Right in the middle of the freeway (or just above it, to be more correct) there is something called the Lincoln Oasis. This is a spot where you can literally take an exit ramp off the freeway to a food court that hangs over the I-80 freeway. When you’re done with your meal, get on the entrance ramp and get right back on the freeway.
2. Once you’re in Indiana, don’t expect an exit any time soon. They seem to have spaced those puppies out every ten miles or so. I guess the don’t want us foreigners messing up there stuff.

We got into South Bend (home of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish) about 11:00 PM. Let me just say, that ordering and eating pizza at midnight is no longer my idea of a good time.

About 13 hours, 729 miles and four states today. Tomorrow it’s on to D.C.